Monday, November 21, 2011

THANKS & GIVING

I thought that I should write something about the upcoming holiday and in thinking about it, I realized it feels like a chore.  We all know that chores don't have a lot of passion behind them.  If I feel like I'm being forced to write about the upcoming holiday then my authentic message won't come through to the reader.  Therefore, to keep this simple and truly be thankful for this upcoming holiday, I have a few lists to share.


10 things I Give THANKS For:
  1. A healthy family: all 3 kids, my husband and myself
  2. A peaceful morning - with no yelling at the kids or bickering with the husband
  3. A good night's sleep with no kids waking up in the middle of the night
  4. A job that is close to home so when I forget my laptop, I'm not too late in the morning
  5. The pictures I printed on Friday & put up in my cubicle of the countries I was so lucky to visit while in college
  6. That I'm so blessed to experience having both a daughter relationship and a son's relationship (2)
  7. A husband that is willing to put up with my bad moods so he can experience my good moods
  8. The chance to get my master's degree FREE paid for by a past employer
  9. The opportunity to live in a country where I can take control of my future and career
  10. The opportunity to question beliefs and religion to push for a deeper truth and equality for all
10 Things I'm GIVING or Recently Gave:
  1. Time to my kids every morning and night
  2. Time to my friend & her family while we watched her daughter in a parade yesterday
  3. The dishes we are making for this Thanksgiving at my sister-in-law's house
  4. The hugs and kisses I gave my husband this morning before he left
  5. The thoughts and prayers I offer to my friends and family without them even knowing
  6. Baby clothes donated to charity that no longer fit my kids
  7. The maternity clothes I gave a family member who recently found out she's expecting
  8. Attending a play recently to support my brother & his significant other
  9. Attending a funeral of a close friend whose grandfather passed away
  10. Lending an ear and offering personal experience to a friend facing challenges with her current marital and family dynamics

10 Things I Learned From This Exercise:
  1. It was easier to make the list for the things I'm grateful for rather then the offerings I've made
  2. I need to increase my offerings if it's so difficult to think of things I've done
  3. I feel better about myself if my list for giving is greater than my list of receiving
  4. It doesn't have to cost anything to actually give of myself.  Time is very valuable and so is compassion
  5. The things I'm grateful for aren't necessarily all recent, which means to me that past experiences and opportunities have lasting affects on my life and future outlook.
  6. No amount of money can buy health
  7. A morning without yelling can set the tone for the entire day, so why not strive for it more often!
  8. Surrounding myself with good memories or pictures of places I've been helps remind me of a passion I have in life that I want to share with my family
  9. I look to share my life and experience with others on a larger but deeper level
  10. Family is the most important thing in my life and it's worth any amount of sacrifice!

No comments:

Post a Comment