Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Negotiate Deals for Portraits


I finally got my daughter's first year pictures last weekend.  She was adorable and we did some family shots.  Everything went great.  Then, the photographer/manager sat us down to look at the portraits & pricing.  We got our pictures done at a common department store photo center.  We have gotten the same package for all 3 kids for their 1st pictures. We get pictures to give to family, but a collage frame to hang on the wall. 


This year, I noticed, the package we usually get has DOUBLED in price! I was in 'sticker shock'.  I really wanted to get the same frame style that my 2 boys had, but I couldn't justify spending so much money.  I started talking options with the photographer.  It worked to my benefit that she was also the manager because I didn't have to ask to get the manager involved.  I started brainstorming ways of getting the pictures I wanted but in the budget I was hoping to spend.  We were fortunate, that a couple family members offered money for my daughter's pictures, so I wasn't planning on going over that price.

As I was talking out loud to the manager, she knew I had a history coming to the same studio.  I also explained why it was important for me to have the same frame and package.  I said I might just make my own collage and go to a local craft store to pick out the same size frame.  As I was discussing all these options, the manager said she could cut me a deal.  She wanted me to be happy with my visit and get the package I intended to get.  Therefore, she offered me a few coupon specials that I didn't even know existed and it brought the original package I was hoping to get at the price I was hoping to spend. 

Now that is customer service and a great way to guarantee I will return a great review to the store.  This particular department store wants its customers to call an 800# to leave feedback about their experience.  This manager can guarantee that I was more then pleased with my visit.  After all, I've been going to the same location for up to 4 years now, so she has now guaranteed I will make my next appt there again. 

Sometimes you are negotiating with someone and you don't even realize you are.  This manager really made my day and I really appreciated her personal touch.  If she had  not made the offer she did, I would have spent even less then I originally expected because I was not willing to put out a lot of money for duplicate photos that I would need to put into a collage myself.  This manager took the opportunity of getting the intended money I was spending while maximizing the money in the store.  Otherwise, it would have been money lost completely in the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment