Friday, November 4, 2011

Not a Proud Day


I wasn't very proud of my actions today as I was completely stressed out about my job which was icing on the cake after a stressful morning with the kids and the husband.  We woke up late mainly because I was up late last night working trying to make a few extra dollars & help out a friend.  I've felt a little disconnected from my husband the last couple days because we normally talk in the morning while we're both on our way to work.  However, the last couple days have been hectic and my husband doesn't have a bluetooth earpiece so he didn't want to talk & drive. 
There are many little things in our lives that need to be communicated and shared so we can plan for the upcoming days/weekend.  However, the planning is more my thing and so my husband doesn't always see how frustrating this is for me when we don't make the time to plan.

So, after a stressful day at work where things just didn't go as planned either, I called my husband only to find out that he was going to be working late.  This meant that my Friday night plans of taking my 2 boys swimming (at an indoor pool) were haulted because no one would be home to watch my daughter (who will be asleep by 7 pm).  I was extremely frustrated that my husband not only didn't tell me he was working late but also made a few distasteful comments about me working late the prior evening.  My frustrations came out full force and it's not something I'm proud of.  An argument ensued and it wasn't pretty for either one of us.

I spent the rest of my evening taking care of my 3 kids while my husband worked.  My daughter hasn't been feeling good so it was nice that I could be there for her to comfort her.  She ended up throwing up shortly after dinner so the kids got a bath together.  I was able to have my oldest son practice putting his face in the water & holding his breath.  He's still in the beginning stages of swim lessons, so that was the reason for making time to go swimming with him.   A few times of watching me put my face in the bath water, gave my son the confidence to do the same & it was a successful night.

I read an article tonight by Leslie Cunningham (Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6671120) and realized that my husband & I need to do something like Leslie spoke about ('financial dates') in order to have better communication.  I need to find ways where my husband & I can find time to talk about the little events going on in our lives or else they turn into HUGE issues because both of our schedules are changed unexpectedly. 

So the end of Leslie's artlicle, she asks if I speak peacefully about money in my relationship and marriage.  The answer unfortunately is "NO, not yet but I'm working on it and hope to make small baby-steps to better conversations as time goes on."  Great food for thought though.

No comments:

Post a Comment