Friday, November 18, 2011

Gift Cards


Gift cards accumulate with me.  I forget that I have them & therefore rarely use them.  It's just like coupons.  I hardly use them because I find it difficult having them at the moments I need them and then when I do, I forget I have them.  I usually get a few gift cards throughout the year.  Since I'm on my mission to spend less, avoid credit cards and live within a budget, it's very hard with the number of birthdays and holidays that occur to me. 

However, I was very proud of myself.  I needed to get a birthday present for my niece and knew I had a gift card for Bed, Bath & Beyond.  However, I went to that store at lunch & couldn't find anything for a 2 year old.  Then I went to Acme which was close by and I had a gift card but wasn't sure the amount that was on it.  I thought I'd have $5 on the card & then make up the difference with my debit card.  I found an adorable & yet inexpensive gift so I went up to the register to buy it.  The gift card had $30 on it and I didn't put a penny out of my pocket.  It was a great find.

When you think creatively, avoiding to spend money then very interesting things happen.  I understand why people believe in God (myself included) because the most unexpected things occur when you don't think that the situation will turn out as positively. 

Some of you might be thinking why would I use a gift card given to me on someone else.  For a couple reasons:  I don't want to spend any of my income because I'm determined to stay on budget.  I don't need anything specifically which is why most of the time, the gift cards sit in my purse unused.  I don't feel bad about giving to others, because it makes me feel good inside and I actually feel better when I feel like I'm giving something up for myself in order to make someone else happy.  It's part of a Christian belief, but I think most people at the core understand this, but don't always follow-through on these actions.  Giving doesn't feel as good if you don't give something up in the process.  However, when sacrifices are made and then you still meet a goal, it's a great feeling. 

To take a phrase from Dave Ramsey, "Live like no one else, so you can live/give like no one else later"  This has so much meaning because it defines making sacrifices that the general public & most people you know will think is extreme because when you are debt free, you will have a life that most people cannot understand because they will most likely still be in debt.  Also, when you are debt free, you can give and help others more because you are more stable in your own financial situation!


So next time you're strapped for cash, look to see if you have a gift card that you can put towards the needed gift or upcoming event.

No comments:

Post a Comment