Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Debt Snowflake Versus Debt Snowball

 VERSUS

I love this time of year where the Christmas music is playing on almost every station and my kids start getting excited about Santa Claus and the story of baby Jesus.  So, I'm trying to stay positive about my recent slip-up on using my credit card.  Everyone does it from time to time where they stray from their goals, but the point is not to let it happen too often.


I'm listening to my Dave Ramsey radio program again after being distracted since Thanksgiving and I'm trying to keep my focus.  I have all my pictures on my cubicle at work of places I've been and my next place to go to - ITALY (part of my vision board-reminds me of goals - thanks @SpeakMichelle!).  I recently read a blog from @TheFamilyCEO about using 'debt snowflakes' with extra money vs. Dave Ramsey's idea of growing the 'debt-snowball'.  The idea is that the extra small dollars that are gathered here and there from birthdays, refunds, selling used items, etc. are put towards the debt in your life, in addition to the savings of your regular income.  I like the idea of the 'snowflakes' because it gives a better visual of how a little money here & there can add up over time to make a big difference.  Check out the website for @TheFamilyCEO to get the full article and example that she shows her own 'snowflakes'.  When I think of the 'debt snowball', it still represents a good visual but it makes you think that you need to build big quickly to make significant progress.  When I think of the debt snowball, I envision that my current situation may seem too overwhelming to accumulate huge heaps of money in order to offset my debt.  While the concept is true, because every snowball starts out as just a few snowflakes compressed together, it's still overwhelming to think of this happening at the beginning stages of being debt-free.  I'm in my first stage of trying to save for my emergency fund of $1,000 (and if you've read my other blogs, you see I've recently had a lttle set-back) so the 'snowflakes' concept is better suited for my place in life right now.

I didn't do enough research to know if the @TheFamilyCEO got her concept from Dave Ramsey, so I'm sure to mention both so there's no confusion.  But part of this debt-elimination process is taking the baby steps needed to move forward without the frustration of having a set-back.  There will always be set-backs in life so I shouldn't feel discouraged but expect them along the way.

Tonight, I'm off to help a friend with her bookkeeping so I will be making a few extra bucks again to put towards my emergency fund.  I may need to put this money towards my current month's bills, because daycare is going to cost me an extra week in December so that will throw off my budget a little.  I'm sometimes very frustrated that we are in this situation where money is so tight right now, but I remember the following:
  • Life will not always be this way.  It has to eventually change, which will create additional changes for my financial situation
  • Saving now and figuring out the financial budget will allow me to work towards my goals of international travel later.
  • My kids will benefit in the future if I suck it up now and push my way through these hurdles.
  • I need to remember that hard work is just as important as saving the money I make because hard work allows us to reach goals and gives us additional opportunities along the way.
  • Visualizing your goals, as Tony Robbins suggests, is just as important as the little physical steps of improvement along the way!
Thanks again for following (also follow me on Twitter @3kidshere and I love to hear feedback.  Thanks to @thejennypincher who gave me some inspirational words this past week and also led me to a new website that I found very interesting:  @financialmentor

1 comment:

  1. Great post and thanks for mentioning me! Yes one huge thing to remember is "life will not always be this way" as you said. When you can start recognizing how you spend/save your money you can start making appropriate changes and before you know it, things begin to improve for you.
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete