Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Marketing

The kids are well and I love being a mom.  Another day to look at expenses and focus on saving $$.  I need to find ways to be creative in saving & making money.  I bought diapers online today for $0.23/diaper which is up $0.03/diaper from my last purchases.  It doesn't seem like much but for 1 box of 120 diapers, that's $3.60 difference which could get me a meal (not out but a home-cooked one!).

I started listening to Dave Ramsey again and all my self-help reading.  I feel like at least I'm trying to continue to educate myself and learn of different methods that work. I got a few new books from the Overdrive.com site at my local library but I'm having a terrible time trying to access them & actually listen to them right now.  I'm not sure why I'm having this trouble but it's driving me crazy!  It has something to do with the file being a MWA file instead of a typical MP3 file.  I will figure it out eventually but I want to listen to this book that Seth Godin wrote called "Meatball Sundae".  I liked his book "Linchpin" although I didn't get through the whole thing before it expired and I like Godin's blog.  So the name of this book intrigues me.
....

I was able to figure out what was wrong with my file.  I forgot to download the application from Overdrive on my PC so I could transfer the file over to my iPhone.  Yay, listening to Seth Godin as I'm writing this blog.  Marketing was never my strong point and I am a horrible seller.  I feel like I say too much about the wrong things and don't know how to filter the proper conversation for the topic.  But I'm determined to work on my marketing skills because I know that is holding me back somewhat with my own personal growth.  I recall one of the worst statements I've made to someone who was a friend/past co-worker was that "I can't sell myself well".  This was particularly bad timing because I had met this person for lunch for potential job opportunities.  The truth is that I can sell myself and my strengths but only when I'm not really 'trying' to prove anything.  If I get into a general conversation on a topic I've worked with or have been involved with, then I'm extremely comfortable at describing how I can add value.  When I think that I'm in a situation that is critical to what I say and how I say it because I think that my current interaction will affect a career opportunity (job interview or business function).  It's the same fear that comes along with public speaking because there's some discomfort with the idea of speaking where people will judge you specifically on the words that next come out of your mouth.  Something I am aware I've always struggled with, but I'm determined to eventually overcome it, even if I'm in my 70's or 80's. 

Until next time.  Thanks for Reading & sharing my thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment