Thursday, March 29, 2012

A New Beginning - AGAIN!

Well, my last post seemed to focus on 'relationships' and that's what I've done.  I'm happy to say that vision boards, motivational books, and building confidence is a guarantee that change will come in your life.  I've made many mental strides in the last few months.  I still have a goal of lowering my debt and working on getting out of the mountain of debt that I've created over the last couple years.  However, rather then focusing solely on that and allowing it to bring me down and feel like I'll never get past that hurdle, I've realized that positive thoughts go a long, long way.

I'm saying goodbye to my current job in accounting and getting back into investments where I can interact with clients and use all the past experience I've accummulated.  It's a great feeling to know that I've accomplished this on my own.  I'm scared about the change and the move to something bigger, but in listening to Anthony Robbins, specifically, I've realized that I need to be out of my comfort zone to grow.  I will do great things and I want to reflect that down to my children so they can see that they are capable of so much in life as well.

I'm going back into institutional investments where I'll work on the compliance end of things.  I know people in the industry which definitely helped with my reputation.  However, I also took a very confident approach this time.  It took a lot of internal analysis to realize that I have worth in the industry I've worked in for over 7 years.  I'm a very honest, reliable worker and I've been selling myself short the last couple years since I've gotten laid off while I was pregnant. 

I don't have many role models in my family that I can turn to and look up to who were successful career women and can guide me in the right direction.  I've played on the guilt of being away from my kids while I worked full time.  I've tried staying home with my kids and convincing myself that will be the best situation for my kids and myself.  However, I don't really believe that it is.  I'm in a situation where I can afford to work and expose my kids to an environment where they can learn from their peers, as well as get great education from teachers who studied to facilitate learning amongst this age group.  When I was home with my kids, they were bored and so was I.  The time and energy it took to try to keep them entertained and try to get all the various house chores done was overwhelming but also added little excitement for me.

I'm very blessed that I have the education and experience to work in a field that I love and allow my children to partake in a school atmosphere with other kids.  My youngest is 1.5 yrs old now so she is getting to the point where school is better for her then to not have her there.  I'm also very fortunate that my in-laws have taken time to watch her a few days a week to ease the cost to my wallet.  I don't think for one second that my kids will regret that they didn't spend enough time with me because the time I spend with them now is quality and so precious.  I enjoy the moments now as much as they do and it's not forced enjoyment.

So, hopefully, this post inspires other moms to really understand what you want in life and explore all your options.  There's no reason to settle for something when you can allow the possibilities to open in front of you if you're willing to see them.  I don't know what the answer is for each of you because I don't think that we all have the same answer.  I'm very proud of moms who want to stay home with their kids and find that fulfilling.  It's definitely a hard job and I know there's very little individual time.  However, women who want to work are heroes too because they are taking on the challenge of all the child responsibilities in addition to professional responsibilities as well.  We are amazing people when we put our minds and determination towards goals.  Thanks for reading and I look forward to giving you more updates over time!

No comments:

Post a Comment