Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Bite My Tongue - LISTEN!

"Bite my tongue."  That is today's objective.  I was a very good listener when I was a child and early adult.  Sometimes I realize now that I wasn't as good of a listener as I was as a child.  As I grow older, I feel like I finally have life experience so I want to share it with others.  However, sometimes I regret after I've spoken what I've just said or shared.  That means that I've talked too much and not listened enough.

Listening to others gives a world of information that I wouldn't get otherwise.  I realize when I listen, that I actually hear things from others that would never be expressed if I had given my opinion on something first.  I'm still reading through Dave Ramsey's EntreLeadership book and he reminded me that even in sales, it's important to listen and not talk too much! 

I'm having a hard time with my current job because I'm not getting enough work or opportunity to grow that I need.  Therefore, it's very difficult to get through the day when I'm scrambling to find work or doing very mundane work.  So, my goal is to listen.  Stop complaining about what I'm not doing or want to be doing.  I need to listen to those around me and be open to other opportunities.  I'm not one to sit idle and let the world pass me by.  Therefore, while my job is very slow, I'm considering looking into taking CPA courses at a local college.  So, if I do this, then it's worth working at a stress-free job that doesn't fill up all my time.

Also, sitting around and complaining about your job doesn't get you a promotion or network to your next great position.  However, listening to management and biting my tongue about things I may have overheard or been told by others will at the very least show I am a respectful, obedient employee.  "Obedient" may not be the ideal word that people want to hear related to their position.  However, sometimes the work environment and structure have not caught up to the current century where ideas should be shared by all.  Some work environments are still very hierarchical and do not agree with subordinates speaking out of turn.  Therefore, it is better to appear as an 'obedient' employee until a better company comes along or the existing work environment has management changes.

I also love to listen to my kids.  This is one area that I soak in and becomes so easy to do.  We all tend to get caught up in the day-to-day schedules, timelines, errands, etc., especially if both parents are working or you are a single parent.  However, I find the most enjoyment after being stressed comes from talking to my kids and hearing what troubles they are having.  It really puts things into perspective.  Hearing them talk about their lives and their perception of life are so rewarding and makes me see the real importance in everything.  Of course, my kids are only 4, 2 & 1 so the simplicity of their problems is what is so enjoyable.  I'm not sure I will feel the same way when they are teenagers or young adults.  However, by the time that happens, I hope I've at least passed on some of the skills I've learned along the way to help them cope with their lifestyles.

Until next time!  Thanks for stopping in.  Please share this blog with friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment